I'm a Finnish guy aged something like 20+, who likes to travel. I'm studying economics in one of the universities over here and i'm really enjoying life with good food, nice people and a totally new enviroment.

This blog will be about everyday occurances from my life here. Some travel and also things i observe and my favourite part, all the bizarre things that will happen to you while being in a foreign country. Because there are alot of them, in reality they might not be bizarre but coming from a totally different background they can be, and alot so.

maanantai 5. syyskuuta 2011

Does studying abroad feel like an impossible task?

                  photo: Oxyg

Have you ever thought of studying abroad? For the sake of learning a new culture, new language or just have a great time abroad while getting alot of new experience. It's not that hard, if i could be able to get away to Bangkok, Thailand to study, then can you. I come from a family that has an average salary in my own country, might even considered to be below average, that didn't stop me. I'm here right now, enjoying what bangkok has to offer. Meeting alot of new people, learning a new language and broadening my views on life. Even if feel like I'm not learning alot in school, i still feel like I'm learning everyday by just interacting with people from another culture.

So is it expensive to study abroad? Yes it might be, depending on your own background and for me it's not easy either. However the cost of living is much cheaper than in many western countries and i get along with about 20,000thb per month (as of 5.9.2011 that is about 500€ or 700 usd). I don't have any special luxury in my life right now, luxury as in material things. What i have though is the possibility to go out and eat great food everyday. And by "go out" i mean eat at a restaurant several dishes 2-3 times a day. A normal price for a dish in Bangkok is about 30-50 thb, that's local food and depending on where you eat. In the center it might be difficult to find a dish for 30 thb. But in the suburbs where i live and study you can even find it for 20 thb. That's about 0,7$ and about 0,5€!!! I don't have a TV but i go out watching football in a bar in the weekends. For good food and LITRES of beer i usually end up paying no more than 300 thb. That's not a bad deal if you still need to watch football without owning a television. There's is plenty of other entertainment that Bangkok has to offer, some cheaper and some more expensive. However i feel 500€ (incl. rent) gets me further here than for example 1500€ would do in europe. That amount is including tuiton fees that in my university is about 30-40,000 thb per semester. Some universities are cheaper and some more expensive but i feel this university is a relatively good one for an affordable price.

A cup of coffee costs about 0,25€ at a seven eleven and between 0,5€ to 1€ at other places. There heaps of good fruit available everywhere, smoothies and shakes for sometimes as little as 0,25€. Sometimes even i refrain to drink beer in favor of the delicious non-alcoholic fruit drinks available everywhere. Well THAT is something! I will post more on the economy issue later because with the huge crisis going on I'm fed up with talking about money. However feel free to ask me any questions you like about living expenses and overall living in Bangkok.

Timo Travel

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti